Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ticked off Toddlers, Brisket, and a Pig Bite...

Ohio is absolutely beautiful in the fall. The bright fall colors painting the hillsides with quaint farms scattered in-between. There are a lot of places that cater to families like ours during this time. New road side farmer markets pop up, hay rides, pumpkin picking, the whole nine yards. We decided to aim east of us where the land starts getting very hilly. We ended up in Holmes county http://www.visitamishcountry.com/ since our dear daughter wasn't going to be her charming self much longer if we didn't stop for a break. Any time I am in this area I immediately think about the cheese, particularly Guggisberg cheese. Go to any store offering this cheese and they charge at least $10 a pound. This isn't something that fits into our budget, when you go directly to Guggisberg cheese chalet and factory you can get it for 2.99 a pound! Plus, they have an excellent selection of other wonderful cheeses for similar prices. In the past 5 years since I knew of it's existence it has really become popular. Maybe too popular. We never used to have to fight to get parking or cram ourselves into the store and fight off people to pick up a chunk of cheese. They even gave my daughter a cardboard cheese hat! This was quite hilarious since she was more interested to see this hat on us that keeping it on herself. So, here I am fighting to get cheese, with a cardboard cheese on my head, while making sure I keep my daughter clear of the dozen sniffles and sneezes I heard surrounding us. Not quite the quaint experience I was after, but I still got my cheese! I can't help to think when I see places like this start printing logo hats, have fancy bags, and now a full website http://www.guggisberg.com/, that I am paying for it somewhere. So the magic gets lost for me. But, I would still tell everyone to check it out, at least for getting some cheese samples! After this, about 5 mins down the road towards 39 we stopped at Hershberger farms. They have a petting zoo, wagon rides, pony rides, farmers market, and a bakery. I go here each year to pick up a huge thing of Ohio grown Candy Onions. Seriously some of the best onions ever! This year was extra special since our daughter actually noticed the animals and was so happy to see them. We took her around to look at the baby goats, cows, birds of all kinds, and baby pigs. Oh, the pigs were so cute! Our daughter couldn't get enough of them. Neither could I. I just had to pet one. They kept running away from people but for some reason a number of them came up to me and let me pet them. I felt like I was an animal whisperer or something. Next thing I know the pudgy one bit me! Granted they had signs all over warning that something like this could happen, but really? Me, I get bitten by a pig. My husband was heartbroken over it...if heartbroken means that he laughed his head off. Due to this my daughter started laughing as well. She started saying "Ow!" and then laugh "Ow" and then laugh. She was so proud of herself. Despite the pig bite, we had a great time. For dinner we drove to 39 and CR201 Berlin Hickory Smokehouse. We each got the brisket platter which was AMAZING! This place recently opened after Troyers Amish Restaurant went out of business. The serving I had could have easily fed a family of 4 on it's own. The meat was perfectly prepared. Most of the food is supposedly from around Amish country. We were very satisfied especially since we spent $25.oo for the three of us. The children's menu left more to be desired and really didn't taste very good when we had it. We should have just had her eat off of our plates instead. Plus the service was pretty terrible. This is a new place, so I can let that slip for that reason and the fact that the food was so good. This place was so good that I decided that when my father came out to drag him and my sister over there (an hour drive from where we live) to have the brisket. So, unfortunately this time around the only consistent experience was the terrible service. There were half the amount of people there than the last time we were there the day before. The brisket was horribly dried out and with about a quarter of the portion we had the day before. My father got a combination plate for 17.oo of ham and brisket, the plate came out with even less than the rest of us. The ham was dried out, it was pathetic looking. One would swear that we were in a different restaurant! I asked the server about it telling her that I had brought my father and sister here boasting about how great the place is and what a great value for the price. Her explanation was that on busy days they don't tend to measure portions so you may get larger portions and less cooked food than the days they are less busy. What?! I asked, that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I was so dissapointed and felt horrible for dragging my family out there. http://theberlinhickorysmokehouse.com/index.html You can check this place out. I can't guarentee if this place will be the best or the worst place ever. I still don't know. I have not been back since.

No comments:

Post a Comment