Saturday, November 7, 2009

Designing Eco Friendly Baby Accesories: Making Gifts on a budget

Since becoming a stay at home mom and having out income cut in half we have had to become very creative with our budget. I have a daughter who was born with a full head of hair. I of course am one of those ridiculous mothers that couldn't wait to dress her up in all sorts of cute outfits and do her hair. I already envisioned all of the oohs and ahhs she would get when we would go out. I couldn't wait to go shopping for her. What I didn't expect was how expensive it would be to get the looks liked. I didn't understand how a shirt 1/4th the size of mine could cost just as much if not more than a shirt for me. I am lucky however. My mother went crazy with buying her outfits. She just couldn't stop herself and a lot of our family and friends also sent us quite a bit of supplies to last us the first year. Something I was missing though were hair accessories. Granted, I could, and did, buy the 6 pack of hair bows from places like Wal-Mart for $3.00 but they just didn't seem very special. Plus they usually came in pretty standard colors that wouldn't match most of her things and would easily fall out. As I do for most things, I told myself, "hey! I can make it myself!" I was off to the craft store. There, I found an amazing material called EcoFi Felt. EcoFi Felt is made from post consumer plastic bottles in a full range of colors. This was great to me since I have been working with felt (mostly wool) since I was a child and the green lifestyle has been ingrained in me all of my life. This was perfect the potential of this material seemed endless. My daughter had this cute dress with watermelons on it so I made a watermelon hair clip for her. People went nuts over it wondering if the clip came with the dress. I then decided to play around with other shapes and fruits, even veggies! The more she wore them out and about the more compliments I would get. This of course lit a light bulb in my head. Being part of such a large family and having so many events it is inevitable that we need gifts from time to time. Especially now with so many of our friends and family having children we wanted to come up with something that still made everyone say "AWW" but without having to forgo buying milk for the week! I started handing them out to family members and friends as gifts for each event. People started to ask if they could purchase more and now here I am starting a little store. I am so pleased. Who knew that a hobby that I enjoy to relax would help me accessorize my daughter, be great gifts for friends and family, and help contribute to the bills! I have been getting new ideas for new designs which has been so much fun to figure out and put together. If you have any ideas I would love to hear it. I want to have a store opening on Etsy in the next week or so. So any ideas would be great! http://www.ThePoshEvent.Etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment